Every year a big name player is mentioned in trade rumors. Some come true, some don’t. Last year there were multiple high-profile players getting traded, a couple names include Khalil Mack & Aqib Talib. This year Pittsburgh Steelers WR Antonio Brown is mentioned in trade talks with almost half of the league. Today I will name 5 teams that have a shot at acquiring Antonio Brown.
- San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers have been mentioned as a team Antonio Brown would love to play for. Recently in an interview, 49ers great Jerry Rice mentioned that while on FaceTime, Brown said that he wants to play for the 49ers “Really bad”. San Francisco has $62M in cap space for the 2019 off-season, which means that they would be able to absorb Brown’s $20M+ cap hit. Brown would be a smart choice for the 49ers as they’re desperately looking for a WR1. He could see the ball a good amount of times with the team.
- Indianapolis Colts. The Colts would also make sense for Brown as they will have $115M in cap space, so they’ll have more than enough money to take on Brown’s cap hit. A match with TY Hilton would be unstoppable for opposing defenses. Andrew Luck would be in consideration for MVP every year throwing to Brown. Hilton, Doyle, & Ebron every week.
- Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles seem to be linked to Free Agents every off-season. Philadelphia will look to add another receiver to their roster this off-season with Golden Tate becoming a Free Agent, and Brown could be an option for them. Only problem is, the Eagles will have $12M in cap space, which is not enough to bring in Brown. Philadelphia would have to restructure some contracts or release some bad contracts to be able to afford Brown. Needless to say, I could see the Eagles as a possible landing spot for Brown.
- Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks could always find some playmakers for Russell Wilson. There seems to be just 1 missing link to the Seahawks passing attack. Tyler Lockett & Doug Baldwin are great receiving options, but they’re missing another talented receiving threat on offense. Seattle will have $60M in cap space this off-season, which is more than enough to acquire Brown, and more talent on their defense.
- New England Patriots. The Patriots always seem to be looking for WR help it seems like. They acquired Josh Gordon early in the season, but took a break from the team to focus on his health, and was later suspended for drugs. That left them with Julian Edelman & Cordarrelle Patterson as their top receivers. With Julian Edelman getting up there in age & Patterson not being experienced enough to be a starting receiver, the Patriots will be looking for a true WR1. The Patriots currently have $22M in cap space, which is just barely enough to land Brown.
Antonio Brown is currently in his 2nd year of a 4 year/$68M deal that includes $19M guaranteed & a $19M signing bonus. Brown would be 34 when his contract expires.