We are 2 months away from the start of training camp and there are still some very talented Free Agents available, one of them being LB Jamie Collins. Collins was previously with the Cleveland Browns before being released earlier this off-season. Now, he is still waiting for a new team to call home. I’ll list my top 5 teams that should sign Jamie Collins!
- New York Giants. The Giants are in need of an outside LB with Lorenzo Carter & Kareem Martin currently starting for them. New York is currently in the middle of rebuilding their defense, while taking care of some of their needs in the draft. Collins could be the icing on thee cake for what seems to be a pretty good defensive draft. They currently have $15M in cap space, which should be just enough to bring in Collins.
- Baltimore Ravens. The Ravens lost multiple LBs this off-season, including CJ Mosley & Terrell Suggs. So they’ll need to do some reconstructing at that position, Jamie Collins would be a nice start to the rebuild. With this signing Collins would most likely start at Sam LB, moving Matt Judon to MLB. Baltimore currently has $14M in cap space, which much like New York, would just get them Collins.
- Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs are trying to build their defensive unit this off-season that was one of the worst in the league. They’ve made some nice improvements to the defense, those include Juan Thornhill, Frank Clark, Tyrann Mathieu, among others. If Kansas City can land Collins, that would put the icing on the cake to an already very good off-season. Kansas City currently has $16M cap space remaining.
- New England Patriots. The Patriots had an interesting off-season. They lost Trey Flowers to the Detroit Lions, but brought in Michael Bennett from the Philadelphia Eagles. New England currently has Kyle Van Noy & Dont’a Hightower starting at LB, so they could upgrade over Van Noy possibly. The Patriots currently have $11.5M in cap space.
- Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars have gone on a complete rebuild of their defense this off-season. They drafted Josh Allen to solidify their front 7, at least so they thought. A couple weeks after the draft, franchise LB Telvin Smith announced that he would step away from football for the 2019 season, leaving a hole at MLB. Collins is mostly an OLB, but could end up making the switch to MLB if Jacksonville calls him. This would give them a nice security blanket for this season, and possibly beyond if Smith decides to retire. Jacksonville currently has $13M in cap space.
Collins totaled 104 tackles, 4 sacks, and 1 INT last season.