Jay Ajayi previously played for the Miami Dolphins & Philadelphia Eagles in the last 4 seasons. Ajayi was drafted in the 5th round of the 2015 draft by the Miami Dolphins before getting traded to the Philadelphia Eagles. Now, a couple knee injuries later, he’s still sitting on the market waiting to get a phone call from a team. Here we’ll list the top 5 teams that should sign Jay AJayi:
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buccaneers added RB Bruce Anderson to their backfield in the draft, but could still use some competition heading into training camp. Ajayi would compete with Ronald Jones, Peyton Barber, and Bruce Anderson for a spot on the 53 man roster. Tampa Bay is loaded with young RBs, so they could use a (somewhat) veteran presence with a few years under his belt. Tampa Bay currently has $1M in cap space, which would make it pretty difficult to bring Ajayi in.
- Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs lost Kareem Hunt last year, leavinng their backfield with a lot of questions. Damien Williams really stepped up for the rest of the season along with Darrel Williams. They brought in Carlos Hyde earlier this off-season, but will that be enough to go into the season? Ajayi will have to compete with Damien Williams, Carlos Hyde, and Darrel Williams for the job. The Chiefs currently have $15.3M in cap space, which would be plenty for Ajayi.
- Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars released Carlos Hyde this off-season, leaving them with a hole behind Leonard Fournette. They brought in 3 RBs this off-season including Benny Cunningham, Alfred Blue, and Thomas Rawls. This is probably enough backs to go into camp, but if they suffer an injury, Ajayi would be the perfect backup to Fournette as their play styles are almost identical. The Jaguars currently have $13M cap space.
- New York Giants. The Giants have a big question mark behind Saquon Barkley; with Paul Perkins, Wayne Gallman, and Rod Smith. The Giants could bring in Ajayi to possibly handle 3rd downs or short yardage situations for the team. If the Giants can bring in Ajayi, him and Barkley would be a great 1-2 punch. The Giants currently have $15.6M cap space.
- Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings drafted Alex Mattison in the 3rd round this year, but are still pretty thin in the backfield. Bringing in Ajayi would be an automatic upgrade to an already talented offense. It also gives them a little security if Dalvin Cook were to miss any time with an injury. The Vikings currently have $1M cap space, which would make it difficult to bring Ajayi in.
Ajayi will probably have to wait until some injuries start in training camp to find a new team.