The Tampa Bay Buccaneers surprised a lot of people by releasing Pro Bowl DT Gerald McCoy after 9 seasons with the team. McCoy was due $13M this season, which may be the reason Tampa Bay released him. There will be a lot of teams gunning for the Gerald McCoy sweepstakes, but I’ll list my top 5 teams that need Gerald the most.
- Cleveland Browns. The Browns have been linked to McCoy pretty much since he was rumored to be traded earlier this off-season. The Browns signed Sheldon Richardson to a nice contract & have Larry Ogunjobi starting at DT, but could use a little bit more depth on the interior. McCoy will probably demand a nice chunk of money from whatever team he chooses, and the Browns may be willing to give him the contract he wants. Cleveland has $33M cap space.
- New England Patriots. It was reported that McCoy wants to sign with a contender, and the Patriots may fit that description. The Patriots are in need of a DT after losing Malcolm Brown to the New Orleans Saints this off-season, and McCoy would be the perfect pairing with Danny Shelton. New England currently has some nice depth at DT with Mike Pennel, Lawrence Guy, and Danny Shelton, but they’re just missing that dominant player that would put their defense over the top. IF New England could pull off this signing, it would cap off an already solid off-season for the organization.
- New York Giants. Yes, the Giants are back on my list again. But they still haven’t found the DT that they need. The Giants still need somebody next to Dexter Lawrence, with Dalvin Tomlinson providing nice depth for New York. The Giants are looking to add a nice pass rusher after trading away Olivier Vernon this off-season, and McCoy may be the perfect man for the job. McCoy recorded 6 sacks as a member of the Buccaneers last year. If he can keep us that pace for the next few years, the Giants will have found a gem in McCoy.
- Denver Broncos. The Broncos, much like the Giants, are still on my list of team’s looking for DTs. Denver currently has Shelby Harris & Dre’mont Jones working the interior of the line. If they can bring in McCoy, that will put their line over the top with Von Miller & Bradley Chubb rushing the outside. Denver currently has $10.6M cap space.
- Houston Texans. The Texans are in need of an upgrade from Albert Dunn after losing Christian Covington to Dallas. McCoy would compliment JJ Watt & Jadeveon Clowney very nicely on the front 7. Teams would have to game plan around McCoy now to go along with Clowney & Watt, so this would be a dream come true for DC Romeo Crennel
Gerald McCoy totaled 296 tackles & 54.5 sacks in his career with Tampa, to go along with 6 Pro Bowl appearances, 3 first team All-Pros, and a 2nd team All-Pro.