With Los Angeles Chargers RB Melvin Gordon holding out for a new deal and requesting a trade earlier this month, we’re here to discuss 5 possible landing spots that would be ideal for Gordon right now and in the future.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buccaneers have had RB troubles since Doug Martin’s 2015 season. They’ve tried many backs since then, most recently Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones; but just can’t find the right RB. If they can pair Melvin Gordon with guys like Ronald Jones in that backfield they will take their offense to the next level. However, Tampa Bay is low on funds to pay Gordon his contract extension, having only $4.6M in cap space. If Tampa is really serious about improving their backfield, Melvin Gordon could be a great fit for Tampa.
- Houston Texans. The Texans still have Lamar Miller, but the team could use a young upgrade over the 7th-year RB. Melvin Gordon paired in an offense with Deshaun Watson and Deandre Hopkins would be a great option for him. Landing Gordon would put them in contention to go deep into the playoffs.
- Dallas Cowboys. We all know of the Ezekiel Elliott situation in Dallas, so they should be looking at options if Zeke demands a trade. Dallas’ offense revolved, and has revolves, around a top RB for years; a fact that is unlikely to change. Dallas will need a top tier RB if they decide to move on from Elliott, and Gordon fits that description to a T. Dallas currently has $23M in cap space, which is more than enough for Gordon.
- Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars have Leonard Fournette on their roster still, but his availability week to week is always up in the air it seems like. Jacksonville could use a little insurance if Fournette gets injured again this season. While a trade is unlikely, it would make sense down the line.
- Buffalo Bills. The Bills brought in RBs Devin Singletary and Frank Gore this summer, but could add another young RB in case somebody goes down this season. Buffalo is paying RB LeSean McCoy a base salary of $6M this season. If McCoy continues to produce less and less this season, a change at RB could happen.