Every year, there are a few players who get a little more love than they deserve. Some get it through comments, and others through the media & the fans. In recent years, guys like Nick Foles received too much praise than they deserved, especially from Jacksonville. Now, here are my top 5 most overrated players this year.
- Dak Prescott, QB, Dallas Cowboys. Dak Prescott is probably the most average QB looking for $30-40M per year. I mean, come on, $40M per year? That’s insane for Dak’s play level. There are only a few people in the league that are worth that, and Dak doesn’t come close. He’s been given everything you can imagine for talent and still can’t play at a super high level like you’d expect. Dak was a previous Rookie of ther Year award winner, and ever since then it’s been slowly going downhill.
- Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, San Francisco 49ers. Don’t get me wrong, I like watching Jimmy G, but he hasn’t done a lot to justify the contract that he was given a couple years ago. The 49ers have done a fantastic job to surround him with talent on both offense and defense, but with that talent & contract come high expectations for him personally. He’s done enough to lead this team all the way, but not to justify too much else. Jimmy will need to take a big jump this season to make that contract start paying off for the team.
- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, Free Agent. Clowney may have priced himself out of some great opportunities with teams. Totaling only 3 sacks and 13 QB hits, Clowney had a drastically down year for the type of contract he was looking for at the beginning of the free agency period. He will have to wait until roughly training camp to find a viable option for next year & beyond, but the number that he was looking for is almost blasphemy.
- Melvin Gordon, RB, Denver Broncos. Melvin Gordon had to wait a little bit to find a new home. After sitting out most of last season for a new contract, however, that didn’t help his cause. Austin Ekeler took his opportunity and ran with it, along with any chance Gordon had at solidifying a big contract he’s been looking for. After the season, Gordon signed a 2 year/$16M with Denver, definitely much less than he was hoping to get last year.
- Odell Beckham Jr, WR, Cleveland Browns. Odell is still a top 10 receiver in the league, but he’s only on this list for the big crowd of people who claim he’s a top 3 receiver in this league, which he definitely isn’t anymore. He became a headache for the Giants and eventually made enemies in that front office, with his production the season before starting to dwindle as well. OBJ is going to need to take it up a notch this year with a healthy season & Baker Mayfield at the helm if he wants to get back to his previous production that made him a top receiver in the league.
HM: Jared Goff, QB & Cam Newton, QB.
There’s more overrated players than Odell