Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Tom Brady shocked the NFL this week by announcing his retirement from the NFL after 22 illustrious seasons. Those phenomenal seasons spanned through 20 years with the New England Patriots where he won six Super Bowls, three MVPs, two OPOYs, and countless other All-Pro, and Pro Bowl nominations. After bringing the Buccaneers their first Super Bowl since 2002, Brady leaves the Buccaneers looking for another QB. So, who are some potential options for the team, either through FA or a trade?
Free Agent Options
- Tyrod Taylor. Taylor, who has been a journeyman QB throughout his career, has been one of the most coveted veterans for teams with rookie QBs they are letting develop. Tyrod brings a nice veteran presence to the QB room, and has helped mentor some young QBs in his career, such as Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, & Davis Mills.
- Marcus Mariota. Mariota, a one time starter with the Tennessee Titans to begin his career, has sat behind Derek Carr in Las Vegas for the last two seasons & will be itching to compete for another starting job. Mariota would fit that high powered offense well, throwing to Mike Evans & Cameron Brate, along with a dominant OL & rushing attack led by Leonard Fournette.
- Jacoby Brissett. Brissett has been a career backup, but when he plays he does fairly well. In four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, Brissett totaled 6,059 yards, 31 TDs, and 13 INTs. Brissett probably isn’t the sexiest option on this list, but would help a young QB grow from game to game.
- Mitchell Trubisky. Trubsiky, a former second overall pick by the Chicago Bears in 2017, spent a year with the Buffalo Bills backing up Josh Allen, and will most certainly look for a starting job somewhere this year. Trubisky actually did pretty well after going to a team that set him up for failure. In four seasons with the team, Trubisky totaled 10,609 yards, 64 TDs, and 37 INTs. With his best season coming in 2018 when he totaled 3,223 yards, 24 TDs, and 12 INTs, with a 66.6 completion %.
- Jimmy Garoppolo. The embattled Qb from the San Fransisco 49ers is coming off a season where he took his team to the NFC championship, while throwing for 3,810 yards, 20 TDs, and 12 INTs. All while the team drafting his eventual replacement in Trey Lance. It was reported earlier this week that Jimmy G is helping the team find a suitable trade partner, and would want to go to a winning team, and what better option than replacing the QB you once backed up.
Jimmy Garoppolo said his team and the #49ers front office are working together on a trade.
Confirmation from the quarterback himself.#49wz
— Rohan Chakravarthi (@rohanSports27) February 1, 2022
As for options the Buccaneers already have on their roster, they’re limited to Kyle Trask, with Blaine Gabbert hitting the FA market.