This past week has been one of the most eventful in Seahawks history. But with free agency and the draft coming up soon, the Seahawks have one of their most important offseasons ahead of them. It’s a huge transition for them as they just traded away some of the best players in their history, Russell Wilson, and Bobby Wagner. But the question is, which direction will the Seahawks go?
Pros/Cons of Russell Wilson’s trade
- The Seahawks moved on from a player that hasn’t been able to win anything after the Legion of Boom disbanded. They have been stuck in a cycle of being above average but not making it far in the playoffs for multiple years now. They felt that they wouldn’t be able to pay Wilson when his contract finished (2023) so they decided to get something for him before that happened.
- And lastly, they got multiple solid trade pieces in return. 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a fifth, Shelby Harris who is an underrated player, Drew Lock who will most likely be a bridge QB, and Fant who is one of the best young TEs in the NFL.
- This should be obvious. The Seahawks traded the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise and the only thing that has kept them in the playoff race for the past 5-6 years.
- Another important thing is that the Seahawks took 26 mil in dead money after this trade but saved 11 mil. But technically they didn’t save any money because Shelby Harris, Drew Lock, and Noah Fant’s contracts add up to around 11 mil.
Pros/Cons of Bobby Wagner’s release
- The release of Bobby Wagner frees up about 16 mil in cap space for the Seahawks which is huge. They are now 3rd in the NFL in cap room with 46.3 according to Over the Cap.
- This allows younger players like Jordyn Brooks to get a bigger role in the defense
- Bobby Wagner has been regressing a bit for the past 2 to 3 years. He has still been great, but his play has been consistently dropping off.
- Bobby Wagner was the only remaining player aside from Wilson from the 2013 championship team. He is a leader for the team and has been the best player on our defense for years.
Who will be the next quarterback in Seattle?
There have been reports all week saying that Deshaun has been linked to Seattle in trade rumors. Seahawks fans have mixed feelings about these rumors. Half want to trade for Deshaun and keep competing, others want to play Drew Lock and draft a QB in one of the upcoming drafts. Some even want to sign a veteran QB like Minshew, Mariota, etc. Nonetheless, the next few months will be very interesting to see what the Seahawks will do regarding their QB situation.
Is a rebuild coming soon to Seattle?
The Seahawks could very well go full rebuild mode for the next few years. If this becomes the case, the Seahawks will have to move on from veterans like Tyler Lockett, Duane Brown, Quandre Diggs, etc. With multiple high drafts picks in 2022 and 2023, they could target multiple positions of need or pieces to build around relatively young players with bright futures like DK Metcalf, DJ Reed, Jordyn Brooks, etc.